Athletes refer to it as being in the zone, computer programmers refer to it as being in hackmode, it's when you become so engrossed and so focused on what you are doing that everything in the periphery fades away into nothing. Coined by the psychologist Csíkszentmihályi flow is described as a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task. Here are the ways to get into a state of flow at work.
1. Concentrate - limit distractions, turn off the email alerts, take the phone off the hook, put a do not disturb sign on your door
2. Focus on a challenging task - challenge yourself if you need to by developing you skill, or add a time deadline for getting something completed
3. Have control - decide to focus on one thing at a time
4. Have clear goals - write down exactly what you want to achieve
5. Live in the moment - be aware of what you are doing while you are doing it
These will set you up for a state where you will lose self-consciousness and that's when you achieve a transformation of time. Don't be a clock watcher it will make the time drag.
For more on flow check out some of these great links below:
Achieve flow by Hacking your Tasks @ Stepcase Lifehack
9 Steps to Achieving Flow (and Happiness) in Your Work @ Zen Habits
How to Achieve the Creative State of Flow @ PickTheBrain
Flow: The Classic Work on How to Achieve Happiness by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi @ Review you life
Flow (psychology), the components of flow @ Wikipedia