Pages

Do you ever check your credit report?

It is a good idea to know what is on your credit report. You are entitled to one free credit check a year from many different companies. Other companies provide a free credit report with purchase of a security service which notifies you of suspicious activity. Having a idea of what your credit score is, can be very helpful when trying to get a mortgage, loan, or applying for a line of credit. To improve your credit score you can pay credit card bills on time (in full). Also cancel credit cards that you don't use. Many of us fall into the trap of getting a credit card for every store in the mall because they offer a 10% or 15% discount off your purchase when you sign up. I have done this in the past and I'm not proud of it. I got an Express credit card and I used it once (when I originally got it). What a waste. After seeing it on my credit report I decided to cancel it and get rid of it. Currently my wife and I use one credit card to maximize our point earning potential. Sometimes you may not even know that you have credit lines open or there may be other credit cards in your name that someone else is fraudlently using. I'm sure you've seen the commericals with identity theft victims with funny voice overs and upset expressions.

Remember to check credit report before the end of 2008.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to the conversation